Sunday, January 02, 2011

12.14 pm and seven hours

It is one of those strange winter days in London. Everything seems dulled after the festivities of Christmas and the New Year. So what's the solution for a day like this - seven hour lamb.

So back from our local supermarket, I am armed with a very small boneless piece of lamb. Not ideal but my thinking is if you cook something for long enough it always tastes good.

Besides I'm in the mood for some nuturing slow cooked goodness. Good food feeds the soul and for me to cook is about love.

So, here are the ingredients - perfect for any larder.

4 anchovy fillets
1 1.8 - 2 kg leg of lamb
3 large cloves of garlic, quartered
Pepper and salt
Olive oil
2 bouquets garnis
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup of dry white wine

Pre-heat your oven to 120 degrees. Dry anchovy fillets on kitchen paper and cut in half. Make six deep incisions into each side of the lamb. Insert a piece of anchovy and a sliver of garlic. Do your normal seasoning with pepper rub in some salt. Seal your lamb and then place in a large french cooking dish in the oven with your stock, wine and bourquet garnis.


That's it. Well it normally is but my piece of lamb is just over a kilogram as there are only two of us and it is also boneless, so I'll check mine around 4.14. I'm let you know.



Anyway, you normally serve with mashed potato. It is a fabulous French dish. The anchovies and garlic combined with the long cooking process turn this dish into butter. Incredible and as I said perfect for the day after new years!

No comments: